It all started 30 years ago in Leicester, when Bill and Jean Adderley opened a home textiles business offering a wide range of products at affordable prices.
Their first shops were small high street units, based in a few towns across the East Midlands. But thanks to their philosophy of "simply value for money", the business began to grow and grow. Today, there is now over 140 Dunelm stores right across the UK and Northern Ireland.
Since 1996, Will Adderley – Bill and Jean’s son – has been responsible for the day to day running of the company. Will remains as Chief Executive. So while we've grown to become one of the UK's leading home furnishing retailers, Dunelm is still a family run business with the same family value. Simple values like putting people first.
Our company is built around the strong relationships we have with people, not just our customers, who we value above all. Not just our suppliers, many of whom have supported us from the very beginning, but also our c9,000 staff, whose hard work and commitment has made our business such a success story. A success story that you too could be part of.
Our strategy priorities:
- Enhance our specialist proposition
- We must continue to evolve our offer so that we maintain and grow our competitive advantage in choice and price, supported by quality, service and availability
- Expand the store portfolio
- We aim to grow market share and reach more customers by opening more superstores across the UK. We expect to grow our portfolio to 200 superstores in the medium term. Existing stores are continually improved within our refit programme
- Multi-channel growth
- Dunelm.com accounts for c.6% of revenue. We plan to increase customer engagement, develop new customer touch points and grow multi-channel participation further
- Develop and exploit our infrastructure
- We have a well-invested infrastructure. Our aim is to ensure that we continue to develop this ahead of our growth curve, so that it is an enabler and never a constraint